October 19, 2014

Our Dream Come True Proposal (October 2011)

 
Hello, Lindsay of Sheaves here! I wanted to share with you all a very special day to us...today, October 19th!!! It was 3 years ago that Jonas totally surprised me within the first 24 hours I had landed in Sweden and proposed to me in a medieval church ruin with candles, a black diamond ring, and FIREWORKS, yes my man got me fireworks for the proposal!!! 
 
I was browsing our photos from the proposal and rediscovered a special audio file! Jonas had his friend & wife go to the church ruin ahead of us and set up candles and prepare the fireworks. Well Jonas' plan was to reach in his pocket and "call" his buddy so he could set off the first firework right when he was going to pop the question. He didn't hang up the phone and his friend didn't answer so it went to his voicemail and he somehow recorded it and sent it us, SO SPECIAL!!! We didn't have any photos or videos taken when Jonas actually proposed except this audio file so I thought it would be fun to make a video with the audio set to photos from our proposal and 2 sets of engagement photos. 
 
Due to the nature of the phone being in Jonas' pocket the audio is quite muffled and it's hard to hear much of what we are saying but you can at least hear me freaking out big time and making all kinds of girly noises!  Maybe you can help us make out what we were saying?!? Our memories aren't quite clear, I guess we were just so in the moment (plus I was distracted by the fireworks) that unfortunately we can't remember exactly how Jonas asked me to marry him. The few phrases I could hear were along the lines of "Ohmygosh" (a million times), "You tricked me!" (Jonas told me we were going to meet his sister and family at a camping place, good cover up for driving an hour to this location eh?), "How did you do this?!? Are you serious?!?" (I was blown away by how he had planned everything!), "Ok I'm going to cry now" (It wasn't until a few minutes after he proposed that it hit me!), and "I was so nervous!" (Aw, Jonas was worried I would catch onto his plan but thanks to my jetlag I was quite oblivious plus we were heading to a big music festival the next day in Norway!)
I also want to share what I had written on facebook of my account of Jonas' medieval dream proposal!: "After Jonas had led me into the church ruin entrance, I could see candle light flickering to the right...we walked in all the way and I could saw the most beautiful thing of my life!!! The medieval dream he had created for the proposal moment!!! I started freaking out, I had no idea he'd propose in less than 24 hours of me arriving back in Sweden!!! ahhh...he got down on one knee, in the candle light & the star light, asked "will you marry me?", and just as he opened the little black box I hear BOOM!!! and I look to my right, and through a broken down part of the church ruin, I see a FIREWORK!!! I looked back at Jonas still on one knee holding the ring, and then...BOOM!!! Another firework!!! Then ANOTHER!!! I kept looking back and forth at the fireworks and Jonas with the ring in the candle light!!! ahhhhhh the most thrilling moment of my life!!! Finally, I gained my sense enough to say YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and have Jonas help me put the ring on my finger!!! The clouds opened up above us and the stars were shining soooooooo bright!!! We just stood there and rejoiced that we are going to spend forever together!!!"
Below is a pumpkin he carved with two ravens & a bat that was lit up as we came back to have a little party with his family. He made the bat shaped cookies with our wedding date on it (the European way in case you were wondering)! 
Fun fact...we actually had already booked our wedding venue BEFORE Jonas proposed! In the summer of 2011 we first talked about wanting to get married and we thought September of the next year would be the perfect month, well I didn't waste much time searching for our dream wedding location and when I found Gold Mountain Manor in Big Bear, California online I fell in love, drove up there the next day, and booked it that week because it was all too perfect that they had September 22 open which was a Saturday and the first day of Fall! Jonas likes to say now that he was so relieved when he proposed because he knew I wasn't going to say no! Oh, of course I wouldn't have but I do think it's kind of funny how we already had the venue booked before we were officially engaged. You know what people say, when it's the right person you just know and all the pieces fall into place...true love really is magic!
 
Above is my beautiful antique inspired black diamond ring and a necklace I made for Jonas! It's the Love "Gebo" rune, it stands for "two positive forces joining together as one" linked with a chainmail ring...so he could wear a ring too ;) 
While I was in Sweden we had 2 engagement photo sessions with Jonas' brother! The first set was at "our runestone" a special place we've often gone to together.
The second set was at the castle in Jonas' hometown, it was a cold night in November but the full moon was beautiful and I love the mood of these photos.
 
Last Sunday we actually revisited our special church ruin! We were going to take some photos with a lovely model we met recently and did a collaboration with! She actually got married here in October 2008 and when we were talking about locations for the project she mentioned this church and I couldn't believe it, so it only seemed perfect that we'd meet there since it is a special place to all 4 of us!
Unfortunately it was raining like mad that day so we weren't able to do the photo shoot there but we took a few photos of the cute little church ruin surrounded by autumn beauty! This is how it must have looked the day we got engaged but it was so dark we didn't get to see it, so it was really special to see the church again especially in October! 
Well that is our tale of a medieval dream marriage proposal on an October day. If you liked this maybe you'd like to watch our dream come true wedding video & see some of our wedding photos!
-Tales of Sheaves

No comments:

Post a Comment